Clerk of Court Ancram Town court
The Ancram Town Court is accepting applications for the position of Court Clerk. The Clerk of Court provides critical administrative and clerical support to the Town Justices, and assists the Court during all courtroom proceedings, both civil and criminal. The position is ideal for an applicant seeking an interesting, varied, part-time position with significant responsibility. The court clerk must attend Court every fourth Wednesday of the month when the court hears cases, approximately 4:30-8:00 pm, and must be available in the court office the other Wednesdays of the month, as needed, for clerical duties, answering phone inquiries, and assisting with trials or hearings scheduled for those dates. Other administrative functions can be performed according to a more flexible schedule. The successful applicant will be joining a staff consisting of one other experienced court clerk, and will be assisting two judges.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare court dockets of cases and maintain court calendar
- Create and file court documents, including sentencing, probation, and release information
- Maintain records of payment for court fines, bail and other fees
- Correspond with attorneys or parties appearing before the Court as required
- Respond to telephone inquiries from the public in a polite and knowledgeable manner
- Provide needed support or assistance to the judge when on the bench or in chambers
Requirements for Applicants
- High school diploma; some college a plus. No legal training necessary.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Word and other basic applications
- Bookkeeping experience helpful; must be able to create accurate financial reports and file them electronically
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to interact with the public, professional demeanor
- Experience with legal processes and court procedures a plus; however, on-the-job training will be provided.
- Must be able to attend a mandatory full-day training for Court Clerks
- High-degree of confidentiality required
- 4-10 hours per week
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume, as attachments, to:
Hon. Suzan Flamm